All State Van Lines - ALL STATE PROVIDES AN ABUSIVE, NIGHTMARE MOVING EXPERIENCE. BEWARE!!!
Using All State for a cross-country move is the biggest mistake I ever made!! I have since discovered that All State Van Lines has many complaints filed against them, all centered around the same issues - grossly inflated final costs based on bogus overweight claims, delivery dates unmet, hidden charges, zero customer service, goods held hostage for cash, LYING – which speaks of ASVL’s deceptive, misleading business model that relies on trickery and fine print, in collusion with the carriers they contract. In my 65 years, I have never been so maltreated. My nightmare move from California to New York City is not an aberration, but is a result of the way ASVL creates a rigged game against the consumer. There is not even a pretense of responsive customer service.
Danny Steiner booked my move, promised to oversee a trouble-free move within 18 days, agreed I could pay with Visa on arrival. He was candid about All State’s previous problems, said that under new management, all was corrected.
The movers create a frantic scenario on pickup, say their 'guesstimated' 1,400 pounds overweight is to protect me, then I get a ‘***’s rush’ of paperwork where the details are in the fine print. My belongings are already on the truck, I reluctantly sign. BIG MISTAKE.
From then on, a nightmare: It takes FIVE WEEKS for my belongings to arrive, which becomes quite stressful. Also, I don't have a bed or basics and incur many costs. Angel DeJesus, my assigned account manager, never called when he promised he would, and when he did call he offered no updates or solutions for the delay, and lied to my face by denying his call to me, wherein he stated I could pay the balance owed on delivery by Visa.
By the end, I sent 12 faxes to Stephanie Little, Customer Service Manager, describing my concerns and ASVL’s shortcomings; she faxed 4 replies, insulting me by repeating the same rhetoric that ASVL “Strives to provide our customers with the best possible service” -- and doing NOTHING AT ALL.
At the heart of this mess is the bogus overweight issue. On the first week, Dejesus claims the weigh-in showed my belongings almost exactly to the pound the guesstimate. He suggested I witness a re-weigh of my goods when I tell him the overweight is impossible, as my only furniture is a queen size mattress & box spring and 2 collapsed tables. No major furniture or appliances. Several delivery dates are unmet with no explanation; on the morning my goods do arrive, I am given no time to meet the small shuttle truck at the CAT scales (other customers were similarly barred from witnessing theirs). The truck takes over 3 hours to reach my home for what should be a 45-minute trip, arrives ¾ empty (see photo confirming this), all my belongings are senselessly stacked up (getting crushed) in the far forward section. There is a moving dolly unnecessary for my things. All signs point to another load being off-loaded between the scales and my home. All of this removes credibility from all the purported weigh-ins: The reweigh is a sham.
I am then forced to go to a bank to withdraw thousands in cash, with the threat of additional costs while my goods are hostage. I phone Dejesus and the carrier, and am told that I had needed to ‘pre-arrange credit card approval and usage at the time of pickup in CA’; neither Steiner nor Dejesus ever indicated this.
All State now claims they are only a broker with no responsibility to participate in the move; but when I called their contracted carrier Cal Van to ask why my goods weren’t delivered, they rebuff me and refer me back to DeJesus, who had sent an email on 3/29, promising to, “Work with Danny Steiner to ensure that your move goes smoothly…I have been assigned as your Account Manager to assist you throughout your move.” Steiner was never reachable after taking my deposit.
ASVL cannot have it both ways; not assisting the customer provides an opportunity for their contracted carrier to ratchet up the final costs. You have no control of the situation. On Yelp, I read similar complaints of price gouging; ASVL apologizes for the ‘inconvenience”, promises to look into complaints. Five weeks without a bed or basic needs is beyond ‘inconvenient’, incurred costs, and I know from experience there will be no action taken. I expected there would be some a concession in costs; quite the contrary.
The company is called All State Van Lines and Relo, which they attempt to obscure by calling themselves ASVL. Aldo DeSobo, ASVL’s owner, IS in the moving business, as represented by his ownership of the following companies operating out of the same physical location as All State in Margate, FL: Nationwide Relocation, Colonial Van Lines, Inc., and Moving Squad.
I have filed my complaint with the Better Business bureau, making me complaint #142 over the past three years. All State Van Lines is a company that runs on deception, trickery, lies. There is no pretense at all to serve the customer. It was clear throughout my ordeal that no one knew where my belongings were -- or gave a ***. After 11 days gone, Dejesus told me the truck was leaving Tennessee, I was the last load and would get delivery in a few days. Then nothing, and no explanation why.
In the end, my fears are confirmed: too much handling caused significant damage and loss. No excuse for that. Irony: it takes twice as long as promised, and costs nearly 50% higher. I would have done better to push my things across the country in a hand cart.
DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Nightmare Move
- Review category
- Transportation and Storage
You May Also Like
- "i would not even know where to start, 1 day delay, left refrigerator behind and other boxes, then being enlightened that it was our fault that we did not look..."
- "On March 6, 2016, I contracted with LD Moving and Storage to help move and relocate our items from El Cajon, CA to Gulfport, MS. Prior to this, Budget..."
- "We hired Dodge Moving & Storage to transfer our belongings from St. Louis, MO to Granbury, Texas. They basically damaged or destroyed every set we owned. Found out that they..."
- "The owner, Peter, is not a very nice man. When you first see him you might think "Mr Miyagi." Once he speaks you think "SATAN!" I did not pass because of..."
- "SHOCKING DISHONESTY AND FALSE CLAIMS. I was never able to speak to a person. They were supposed to e-mail me when my phone was received and to give me a..."
- " They paid $10,000 are more of expenses for my automobile which if I did not have a warranty I would had paid all out of pockets, they was their..."
- "I know that moves can be tricky and I've worked with several national and local companies, but this was the WORST experience with a crew I have ever had. Honestly,..."
- "Well this huddle house in my town keeps changing owners over and over each one loosing more and more business it is awful!! We wait FOREVER EVERYTIME we go! They..."
- "Dear Sir I have been using all different types of your products for a long time now. However, today I had my worst experience with your Company. I bought Sally Hansen Ouch..."